Newport Nest

January 13, 2017


Here is my version of Newport by Sarah Hatton, a free pattern for Kidsilk Haze Viintage, meant to be knit with 2 strands held together.  I made several modifications to suit my style of knitting and my body type.  First was to knit this top down, knit in the round, see note below. The pattern has quite a lot of ease, too much ease for the look I wanted, so I used a yarn with a smaller gauge than the pattern suggested, knit the small size, and thus achieved an xs with less ease that was more fitted. These changes also made the neckline less wide. I picked up neckline stitches at the end and made a ribbing of about 1/2”, then I sewed on some pale pink/gold Swarovski crystals that came from a Rowan pack specifically designed for knitters.  They look gorgeous.  I love tiny needles, luxury yarn, simple patterns, and with the addition of tiny crystals, I'm very happy.  I pair this with a charcoal grey, tea-length gathered tulle skirt and my faux black leather pencil skirt, but confess I mostly wear it with jeans.  I have some new charcoal gray velvet jeans and it looks really pretty with them. My lovely model, Jessica, paired it with her mini denim skirt. Decades ago I used to live in mine!  Glad to see they are back!  Doesn't she look darling?  My links are at the end.






My Ravelry project page

I used the now discontinued Rowan Angora Haze.
It's fabulous--really, really, fabulous--and you can still find it on sale.
It's half price at Fiber Wild.

The free pattern, Newport, by Sarah Hatton

I found my Rowan Swarovski crystals at Fiber Wild
where they have a great selection for 40% off!
My crystals came from this collection.

To make a comment, click here.

It's nice when luxury is on sale!  I'm definitely going to buy some more.


Note: I've had readers ask how I convert patterns from a traditionally written seamed pattern to a top-down sweater. I'm sorry I'm not the right person to ask as I just take a stab at it; read through the pattern, jot a few numbers down, then pull out a calculator and fiddle with numbers until it looks like it makes sense.  While not all patterns can convert easily, or even at all, I think I can make it work because I've been knitting for so long, but I know I don't have an approach that I can spell out on paper. I'll bet you could find tutorials on tech blogs or you tube.



Follow 
Knitionary


You Might Also Like

3 Comments

  1. Beautiful sweater!

    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, this is a stunning top! The crystal beaded neckline is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leah. I know how much you love Swarovski crystals!

      Delete

You make my day when you make a comment!

Labels

afghan Alana Dakos ally pally ambassador Amy Herzog Ankestrick Arte Italica baby Baby Cocktails bakelite baking berry picking Best Friday of the Month best of Ravelry Big Sur blue transferware book review books boutique brook cables California candy child children children's activities Christmas Christmas crafts Christmas knitting cleaning collections cookie cutters cookies cooking craft Crafts crochet cross-stitch day trip decluttering decorating designer spotlight discount diy dog dolls Easter eau de vie Elizabeth Bradley Elizabeth Zimmerman embroidery entertaining Facebook fall fall decorating fall garden family featured first car fit flower arranging flowers free pattern Friday night party group friends funny Fur garden gardening Giants Gifted Hostess give-away giveaway gluten free gourmet group Halloween herbs holiday home how to set up a party group jewelry Kaffe Fassett KAL Kim Hargreaves kitting Knit Picks knitting laundry Le Jacquard Francais Little French Knits Los Altos lunch Mailbu Making Things Marie Wallin Martin Storey menu minimalism money talk mosaic movies my house my patterns my town nails needlepoint needles October challenge Octoberfest ollalie organizing original design outdoor seating owl party prep pear peg dolls pies pomegranates poncho preview quilting recipe recycling redwork review roses Rowan San Francisco Sarah Hatton sewing shawl shopping shower social media softie spring spring garden stash Stitches West summer summer garden summer knitting Sunday Morning Swans Island table setting test test knit Thanksgiving Three Irish Girls TNNA tomatoes top 10 list toys travel tutorial twinning ufo Uncommon Threads vacation Valentine vegetable garden videos wedding winter garden wip Woolfolk yarn yarn for sale Ysolda