boy power

September 12, 2016

















We just came back from a gorgeous wedding in Santa Barbara where so many of our good friends gathered together for a weekend of festivities. I got all sentimental and started thinking how important it is to celebrate the moments, big and little, and never take this beautiful life for granted. We haven't entertained much this summer mostly due to my husband having some emergency surgery.  During his recovery time his golf buddies were so good to him--calling, visiting, and inviting him to lunch, and now that he's all patched up, we thought before summer officially says goodbye we'd have a small outdoor gathering just to get some of the buddies together.  You can tell the guys really like each other and love to be with each other, so at the end of dinner I did something I've never done:  I gave a toast.  Now first I need to tell you that I can silence a crowd in no time--people fidget while I fidget and awkwardly stammer away, so that is why I have never summoned the courage to ever give a toast.  Until Saturday night.  It went something like this, "You guys are all so sweet to each other.  I can tell you really care about each other.  Thank you for being so kind to my guy," //tears welling in my eyes--astonished looks on everyone's faces//, "it meant a lot to us."  And then I blurted out, "Yay for boy power!"--it was all very ridiculous but everyone cheered and laughed but I really did mean it.  I am often guilty of stereotyping men to be not quite as sensitive and caring as the gals, but this month I found that not to be true.  So, yay for boy power and yay to all the sweet guys I know.

Now on to the party details:  A few days before I host a party I walk around my garden to get inspiration.  I usually have no idea what I'll make until that walk and/or a visit to our local farmer's market on Thursday night.  The centerpieces and other flowers will always be gathered from my garden, and this month the faded, papery hydrangeas are plentiful; their freckled dusty pinks and grayed out limey greens are simply beautiful.  This time of year I don't have enough vegetables to feed 12, but did manage to pick enough tomatoes for the appetizer and I had the soup base in the freezer.  The farmer's market provided the rest and I decided on this menu:

roasted tomatoes with bread crisps

chicken ragout from this excellent book, Ojai's Table
rice
roasted baby patttypan squash

orange pecan cake, also from Ojai's Table

We had drinks inside, just because it's way easier for me to set it up that way, and then dinner outside; the weather was sublime.  I hired a kitchen helper--a total treat but I almost feel like it's a necessity when we have 12 or more guests.  The next morning I slept until 9:40 and totally slept though church!  I know for a fact I have not awakened that late in decades, if ever.  Like I said, this has been quite a summer!

To make a comment, please click here.





 To make a comment, please click here. 






You Might Also Like

6 Comments

  1. Thank you for your very sweet post. You do have kind friends, but I suspect you are kind to them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great post, Kristen. If fact, it was iconic Kristen Rettig!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Kristen,

    As always, you give me inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad your husband is back to health and obviously so loved. Beautiful celebration of that! Glad you could sleep in and recuperate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what gorgeous photos! So glad to hear that your husband has recovered!

    ReplyDelete

You make my day when you make a comment!

Labels

afghan Alana Dakos ally pally ambassador Amy Herzog Ankestrick Arte Italica baby Baby Cocktails bakelite baking berry picking Best Friday of the Month best of Ravelry Big Sur blue transferware book review books boutique brook cables California candy child children children's activities Christmas Christmas crafts Christmas knitting cleaning collections cookie cutters cookies cooking craft Crafts crochet cross-stitch day trip decluttering decorating designer spotlight discount diy dog dolls Easter eau de vie Elizabeth Bradley Elizabeth Zimmerman embroidery entertaining Facebook fall fall decorating fall garden family featured first car fit flower arranging flowers free pattern Friday night party group friends funny Fur garden gardening Giants Gifted Hostess give-away giveaway gluten free gourmet group Halloween herbs holiday home how to set up a party group jewelry Kaffe Fassett KAL Kim Hargreaves kitting Knit Picks knitting laundry Le Jacquard Francais Little French Knits Los Altos lunch Mailbu Making Things Marie Wallin Martin Storey menu minimalism money talk mosaic movies my house my patterns my town nails needlepoint needles October challenge Octoberfest ollalie organizing original design outdoor seating owl party prep pear peg dolls pies pomegranates poncho preview quilting recipe recycling redwork review roses Rowan San Francisco Sarah Hatton sewing shawl shopping shower social media softie spring spring garden stash Stitches West summer summer garden summer knitting Sunday Morning Swans Island table setting test test knit Thanksgiving Three Irish Girls TNNA tomatoes top 10 list toys travel tutorial twinning ufo Uncommon Threads vacation Valentine vegetable garden videos wedding winter garden wip Woolfolk yarn yarn for sale Ysolda