marmor in progress

May 26, 2017



I wanted to share the progress on Regina Moessmer's Marmor Cardigan with Woolfolk Luft yarn.  The construction is very interesting and it started out like no other pattern I've ever knitted.  Right away I had to suspend my knitting reality and just follow the directions, not knowing exactly what was what. But never fear, the pattern is very well written and very easy to follow, and anyway, I enjoy knitting surprises and really enjoy learning a new construction technique. 

The pictures below show my progress.  This is knit seamlessly in one piece from the top down. The first picture is the start of the back with the top being the collar which sits high up on the neck.  The slip stitch detail in the center goes down the back.  To the right and left of that are the beginnings of the top of the shoulders, or the shoulder "seam".  The next picture shows the beginning of the knitted-in fitted sleeves which is similar to a contiguous sleeve technique.  It was at this point that I could start to imagine where the pattern was going which got me knitting on a fast track to get to the next stage--the try-on stage.

The next picture shows when I separated the sleeves from the body and began the slip stitch detail down the side.  At this time I was able to try it on and I fell in love.  I felt like Kate Hepburn.  I can't wait to finish it and wear it and get some modeled shots as I think it's going to be pretty fantastic. The following picture shows where I've started to knit down one sleeve to get a better idea what the finished piece will look like when I try it on (which is every hour or so at this point!)

However, this cardigan is not all about designer details, because the yarn is battling for center stage too.  Luft is as soft and light as a marshmallow cloud, but it has firm structure, if that makes sense. It's an amazing yarn that the folks at Woolfolk should be very proud of.  The color is a pale mushroom and the knitted fabric has a soft halo around all the garter texture.  Very simple and elegant.










To make a comment, click here.
xo



Follow 
Knitionary

You Might Also Like

14 Comments

  1. Interesting start. LOL Suspending your knitting reality! Like knitting a baby surprise jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the yarn and pattern, how much did you spend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yarn retails for $16 a skein and the pattern is $8. I think I will end up using 10 skeins but not sure. I'm making the smallest size.

      Delete
  3. This is a beautiful cardigan! You are doing a lovely job with it. I love the yarn. Looks like an aran weight?
    I can't wait to see it finished.
    Have a good weekend. It's raining here again. I'm at the shop. My Happy place.
    Take care,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more like a bulky weight yarn I think. It is so lovely.

      Delete
  4. Love it...didn't think I would.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't even finished reading your blog and I want to be on board with this pattern (but then I want to be on board with a lot of things). So absolutely yummy. Can't wait to see your finished project, Kristin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to knit this. But $170.00 for pattern and yarn is out of my league.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I understand, it's not for everyone to spend a lot on their hobby. I rationalize it by being thrifty on many other things. Even my husband gets me and my knitting passion so I'm pretty lucky about that.

      Delete
  7. I'm curious about something. Do you do other things while you're knitting? Such as: watch t v, listen to music or a book, or do you just sit and methodically knit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost always multitask when I knit. I read ( with kindle or iPad) watch tv (all spring and summer its baseball), listen to books on tape ( I just started Tea Girl Of Hummingbird Lane) and I take knitting with me everywhere. I never leave home without my knitting. Ever!

      Delete
  8. This looks so beautiful! I would really love to knit it in the ochre colour but I am only a beginner knitter, I'm not sure whether the pattern will be too complex? I have knitted a scarf and two baby cardigans before. I started knitting last year, I asked my mum to teach me after I found your blog! I'm excited to knit your gingersnap toddler when the pattern is released, for my 18 month old daughter :-) thank you for sharing your blog. Emma from new Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi thanks for sharing your progress it has helped me a lot I'm at the division of the sleeves

    ReplyDelete

You make my day when you make a comment!

Labels

afghan Alana Dakos ally pally ambassador Amy Herzog Ankestrick Arte Italica baby Baby Cocktails bakelite baking berry picking Best Friday of the Month best of Ravelry Big Sur blue transferware book review books boutique brook cables California candy child children children's activities Christmas Christmas crafts Christmas knitting cleaning collections cookie cutters cookies cooking craft Crafts crochet cross-stitch day trip decluttering decorating designer spotlight discount diy dog dolls Easter eau de vie Elizabeth Bradley Elizabeth Zimmerman embroidery entertaining Facebook fall fall decorating fall garden family featured first car fit flower arranging flowers free pattern Friday night party group friends funny Fur garden gardening Giants Gifted Hostess give-away giveaway gluten free gourmet group Halloween herbs holiday home how to set up a party group jewelry Kaffe Fassett KAL Kim Hargreaves kitting Knit Picks knitting laundry Le Jacquard Francais Little French Knits Los Altos lunch Mailbu Making Things Marie Wallin Martin Storey menu minimalism money talk mosaic movies my house my patterns my town nails needlepoint needles October challenge Octoberfest ollalie organizing original design outdoor seating owl party prep pear peg dolls pies pomegranates poncho preview quilting recipe recycling redwork review roses Rowan San Francisco Sarah Hatton sewing shawl shopping shower social media softie spring spring garden stash Stitches West summer summer garden summer knitting Sunday Morning Swans Island table setting test test knit Thanksgiving Three Irish Girls TNNA tomatoes top 10 list toys travel tutorial twinning ufo Uncommon Threads vacation Valentine vegetable garden videos wedding winter garden wip Woolfolk yarn yarn for sale Ysolda