casting on

April 28, 2017




Look what came in the mail today!  I squeaked with joy when I opened my package of Woolfolk Luft, with enough yarn to make the  gorgeous Marmor Cardigan by Regina Moessmer.  Garter stitch has a lovely, modern texture and it's simplicity and elegance works especially well with a luxurious yarn. Keeping in mind that garter fabric can sag if too heavy and/or not stabilized, choose a lightweight yarn and stabilize with some seams!  Or, in the case of Marmor, use slip stitch faux seams at the sides and up the back to not only stabilize but add decoration.  The yarn suggested is Woolfolk's Luft, an aran weight yarn that is utterly lightweight with a 109 yards of mighty aran/bulky weighing in at only 50 grams.  The Woolfolk folk worked with sheep breeders to hybridize a new merino sheep.  They call the result Ultimate Merino® with a micron count of 17.5, which means it's as soft as cashmere but as strong as merino.  For Luft yarn, the merino is blown into a white net cotton cage resulting in a light weight yarn with an angelic halo.  It's heaven. I knit with Woolfolk Tynd before and love my sweater.  It's as soft as any cashmere I've knit or worn--for half the price.

the links






We're going on a cruise to Alaska soon, and I know that no matter what time of year or where I am, I am cold in every restaurant.  I'm hoping to finish this in time to take it.  Fingers crossed!

Come back this weekend and I'll announce the winners of the Kelmscott scissors.

Find Woolfolk stockists here

To make a comment, click here.  I'd love to hear from you!

You Might Also Like

2 Comments

  1. You lucky girl! Beautiful yarn, beautiful sweater.

    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous yarn and stunning sweater pattern, Kristin. Re garter stitch: is the slipped stitch seam the same as EZ's "phoney" seam? She describes a sort of slipped stitch seam to stabilize garter stitch. It sounds great to me! This subject brings up a question for me. I know what a very experienced knitter you are but in a class I took once Jared Flood passed around his garter stitch Cobblestone with no seams and it was almost rigid. No lack of stability there. But he used a very firm rustic yarn, I think and I also think his gauge was very firm too. At least it appeared to be. Class time was tight so I couldn't ask him about that. But I'm inclined to think, per your advice, that in most cases a slipped stitch or real seam is very wise, particularly with softer yarns. Thanks for that tip and any more thoughts on this would be very appreciated. Thanks! Chloe

    ReplyDelete

You make my day when you make a comment!

Labels

afghan Alana Dakos ally pally ambassador Amy Herzog Ankestrick Arte Italica baby Baby Cocktails bakelite baking berry picking Best Friday of the Month best of Ravelry Big Sur blue transferware book review books boutique brook cables California candy child children children's activities Christmas Christmas crafts Christmas knitting cleaning collections cookie cutters cookies cooking craft Crafts crochet cross-stitch day trip decluttering decorating designer spotlight discount diy dog dolls Easter eau de vie Elizabeth Bradley Elizabeth Zimmerman embroidery entertaining Facebook fall fall decorating fall garden family featured first car fit flower arranging flowers free pattern Friday night party group friends funny Fur garden gardening Giants Gifted Hostess give-away giveaway gluten free gourmet group Halloween herbs holiday home how to set up a party group jewelry Kaffe Fassett KAL Kim Hargreaves kitting Knit Picks knitting laundry Le Jacquard Francais Little French Knits Los Altos lunch Mailbu Making Things Marie Wallin Martin Storey menu minimalism money talk mosaic movies my house my patterns my town nails needlepoint needles October challenge Octoberfest ollalie organizing original design outdoor seating owl party prep pear peg dolls pies pomegranates poncho preview quilting recipe recycling redwork review roses Rowan San Francisco Sarah Hatton sewing shawl shopping shower social media softie spring spring garden stash Stitches West summer summer garden summer knitting Sunday Morning Swans Island table setting test test knit Thanksgiving Three Irish Girls TNNA tomatoes top 10 list toys travel tutorial twinning ufo Uncommon Threads vacation Valentine vegetable garden videos wedding winter garden wip Woolfolk yarn yarn for sale Ysolda