Take me out to the ballgame and I'll knit!

March 17, 2015





OK, so I'm a knitter, but I'm also a baseball fan.  Baseball season is coming up and for us knitters, it means hours of blissful baseball watchin' knittin'.  And yes, I do take my knitting to AT&T Park, always!

I've been wanting to make a team scarf for a few years now, and finally got my act together pre season with my pattern and yarn ready! Mother and I are going to make scarves using San Francisco Giants baseball team colors, orange and black, with white and grey thrown in for good measure, knitting a stripe for each game played.  This would work for any team, just pick 4 colors, one for home wins, one for home losses, one for away wins, one for away losses. You knit a stripe for each game, and by the end of the season, you'll have a randomly striped scarf that shows the season.  JOIN US!  Our scarves will be ready to wear post-season, which for the Giants, ahem, is usually not until mid October!  (We have won three World Series in the last 5 years which means the season is lengthened through October.)  With 162 games (not counting post season games, wink wink).  I'd love you to join us.  Choose the colors closest to your team colors and start on opening day.  I don't care what team you root for, even Dodger's fans can join this knitalong!  I'd be so happy if you did, just show your team spirit!

Go to this link for the Ravelry Giants Group.  There's already a few people signing up this year.  I'll bet your team has a Rav group too.  If you are on Facebook, there are quite a few gamer babes that will be knitting this.  It's a closed group and only for Giants fans, and you'll have to ask to join, but do ask.  The mod gets back to you the same day.  It's a fun and friendly group:  Gamer Babes on Facebook.

Here's the link for the free pattern, and these words from the designer about her pattern:

A conceptual knitting design for baseball fans. (It can work for other sports, too!)

Knit your team’s season into an infinity scarf to wear for the postseason! Using whatever yarn and needles you prefer, in your team’s colors, you’ll make an infinity scarf that reflects your team’s wins and losses at home and on the road.

Free worksheet includes a place for you to fill in your color key (coded to wins, losses, home games, away games) and a chart for determining your cast-on and estimated length. This is a completely customizable concept, and I look forward to seeing your interpretation.

Play ball!

I've chosen Rowan's Wool/Cotton in DK weight and mother is using All Season's Cotton which is a light aran weight.  Both yarns are easy to knit and will be soft around the neck and are machine washable. We're starting out with one skein each and may have to purchase another one or two as the season progresses, we'll see.

On the left, mother is using Rowan All Season's Cotton:
Home win, Burnt Orange 262
Away win, Inky 497
Home loss,  Organic 178
Home loss, Turf 232

On the right I'll be using Rowan Wool Cotton DK:
Home win, Cafe 985
Away win, Inky 908
Home loss, Antique 900
Away loss,  Misty 903

Two more great choices would be Rowan's Softknit Cotton in Burnt Orange 577,  White 588, Noir 589 and Silver 586 or Handknit Cotton in Florence 350, Black 252, Ecru 251 or Bleached 263 and Slate 347.   I've knit with the above four yarns and they are all high quality, soft, and easy to knit yarn.  If your local yarn store doesn't carry them, check out the internet.  For Giant's fans in the bay area, Rowan stockists are Uncommon Threads in Los Altos, Imagiknit in San Francisco and Jimmy Beans in Reno has an awesome online shopping site.

For Wool/Cotton DK weight I am using size 5 needles and casting on 28ish stitches and knitting garter stitch (knit each stitch) or maybe the linen stitch.  For the heavier All Season's Cotton mother will use size 9 needle and cast on 20. 
A reader wanted to see an example, so here's one in Giant's colors I pulled from Rav.  It's just random stripes denoting your team's wins and losses, so they all look different, but pretty! This one is knit in the round in stockinette as a cowl.  Both my mom and I are going to knit scarves, not cowls.  Mom will knit the simplest garter stitch, which is knit each stitch and it will be beautiful.  I am going to do the linen stitch just because I want to give that a try.  The pattern gives a good explanation of how to start.


If you are not a Giants fan, you are released from this page, you'll be bored with the rest of this!  But if you are a Giants fan, read on!  My son and I went to spring training in Scottsdale last week and saw two games at Scottsdale Stadium.  We had a blast and I am planning on doing it every year.  We got to see Matt Cain pitch two innings, his first time in over a year so it was nice to see him back.  Will Clark signed my hat, he was so funny and friendly with the fans.  Hunter Stickland, seriously handsome, came out and signed a lot and also quite a few of the minor leaguers who were invited to spring training came out to sign too.  They were all so polite and friendly, if not a little shy.  After Sunday's game, at a nearby park the Giants hosted a "hit with the big leaguers" day for little leaguers.  Joe Panik and Andrew Susac were the stars and interacted so well with the kids.  Honestly, these young men are just so polite and humble, just gotta love those Giants, they know how to pick 'em.  And good looking.  Holy cow.  When Joe Panik smiled, which was often, all the ladies just about fell over.

If you are planning on going, I recommend staying at The Saguaro.  It was great, just a quick cab ride from the airport.  Once there, you just walk to the ballpark, it's a block away, and in the evening, old town is just steps away.  It was a perfect trip.


We're used to ATT Park being sold out, but even the spring training games are completely sold out!  Crazy, but it's still a small enough park to feel friendly and homey.  They have a packed lawn seating too.

Joe Panik






Will the Thrill



Follow 
Knitionary

You Might Also Like

10 Comments

  1. I can't wait to join in. What a fun idea! Go brewers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're leaving for Arizona on Friday! I can't wait. Sounds like you and your son had a great time. This knit a long is perfect for me since I'm a beginning knitter. Soon as I get back I'm going to look into getting some wool. Go Giants!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you on Facebook? There is a group called Gamer Babes, and they are a super fun group, very friendly. I posted the project and we have quite a few signups! Have fun in AZ! Bring sunscreen!

      Delete
  3. Is there a photo of the scarf?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I edited my post above to show an example from another knitter. I don't even think those are Giants colors, looks more red than orange, but you get the idea.

      Delete
  4. I found you on Gamer Babes! What a nice blog you have, especially the pictures of our boys! I'm in, and think I'll also do the linen stitch. I've made a few scarves with Koigu and linen stitch and love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your cowl in team colours is awesome! I'm not a sports fan, but what a chic way to support your favourite team, that's awesome.

    ReplyDelete

You make my day when you make a comment!

Labels

afghan Alana Dakos ally pally ambassador Amy Herzog Ankestrick Arte Italica baby Baby Cocktails bakelite baking berry picking Best Friday of the Month best of Ravelry Big Sur blue transferware book review books boutique brook cables California candy child children children's activities Christmas Christmas crafts Christmas knitting cleaning collections cookie cutters cookies cooking craft Crafts crochet cross-stitch day trip decluttering decorating designer spotlight discount diy dog dolls Easter eau de vie Elizabeth Bradley Elizabeth Zimmerman embroidery entertaining Facebook fall fall decorating fall garden family featured first car fit flower arranging flowers free pattern Friday night party group friends funny Fur garden gardening Giants Gifted Hostess give-away giveaway gluten free gourmet group Halloween herbs holiday home how to set up a party group jewelry Kaffe Fassett KAL Kim Hargreaves kitting Knit Picks knitting laundry Le Jacquard Francais Little French Knits Los Altos lunch Mailbu Making Things Marie Wallin Martin Storey menu minimalism money talk mosaic movies my house my patterns my town nails needlepoint needles October challenge Octoberfest ollalie organizing original design outdoor seating owl party prep pear peg dolls pies pomegranates poncho preview quilting recipe recycling redwork review roses Rowan San Francisco Sarah Hatton sewing shawl shopping shower social media softie spring spring garden stash Stitches West summer summer garden summer knitting Sunday Morning Swans Island table setting test test knit Thanksgiving Three Irish Girls TNNA tomatoes top 10 list toys travel tutorial twinning ufo Uncommon Threads vacation Valentine vegetable garden videos wedding winter garden wip Woolfolk yarn yarn for sale Ysolda