a bread basket and a new beginning

February 15, 2015

My daughter loves dogs, always has a dog, but has never had a puppy.  She rescues senior dogs.  Like older children, older dogs are among the last to be adopted, if at all.  Choosing a senior dog to adopt can be a bit of a challenge.  You almost never know their back story or any of their history as very often they are strays.  The vet can look at their teeth to get a good idea of their age, but that and their gender are about the only things you'll really know about them. It's almost like their lives before the rescue shelter doesn't exist.  They do, however, come with a mixed bag of peculiarities that come from that unknown past and every one has to adjust. One thing that is amazing though, once surrounded by love, these dogs seem to take no time at all to adapting to their new homes.  God certainly loves these little creatures. 

Gertie is part black lab and is about 11 years old.  We think.  She has been with the family for 5 years and is the perfect dog: polite, patient and loving; an old soul who is completely content and comfy with her family.  Paris, who looks like she has a bit of terrier in her, is the newest family member.  She is three.  We think.  She has been with her family for one week and is trying to find her place.  She is very quiet, undemanding and prefers to stay out of the way.    It will be interesting to see her personality emerge as she feels more comfortable in her new surroundings.  

Gertie has been up to visit her grandparents many times and is very at ease with us, our house, and garden and makes herself at home right away.  She's funny--she knows she's on vacation and plans on having a good old time!  With Paris, it's been a little different.  We are just two more strangers to get used to, plus another strange house to navigate.  She has been laying low pretty much, observing more and not getting into the action. Enter grammy's hand knitted bread basket. When I knew she was coming I fished it out and put it on the floor and she immediately curled up inside.  It's a safe place to snuggle down into and watch the activity around you and not have to be part of it, but I'm predicting it won't be long before she starts to strut around.  







The bread basket pattern comes from Simple Projects for Cozy Homes by Sarah Hatton.  It's one of those books where you'll want to make every project, for yourself and as gifts.  The photography is beautiful and the projects are simple and fast.  Below are my favorites.  I knit my bread basket/dog bed with Rowan Big Wool in the color Linen.  I have more yarn so I can let Paris take her bed home and I'll make a new one for me.  Both the book and the yarn are widely available at your Rowan stockist and online.











By the way, I had the flu last week and it completely kicked me on my keester.  I don't remember ever being that sick.  I ended up getting pneumonia on top of it, and this is even though I religiously get the flu shot every year and I've had the pneumonia vaccination.  Apparently the flu shot this time missed the mark, and the pneumonia shot I got does not cover this kind of pneumonia.  I have spent the entire week feeling bad bad bad and sleeping sleeping sleeping.  I'm getting better, but this recovery business is so slow going.  I wish I could say I was knitting a lot, but before today I couldn't concentrate enough for simple garter stitch.  Anyway, the good news is that I am on the mend!  xo Kristen



Follow 
Knitionary

You Might Also Like

18 Comments

  1. Glad you are feeling better! I've heard of quite a few people getting this stuff even with flu shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My doctor said that it's usually a good bet that the flu shot will be the right cocktail for the virus, but this time, they got it totally wrong. He said they have had so many people coming in with flu symptoms, more this year than ever.

      Delete
  2. so sorry you were so sick, Kristin - but so glad to hear you are on the mend.
    Continue to take good care of yourself - your needles and yarn will wait patiently for you! :)
    love the sweet doggie pics
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, true--the yarn, the laundry, the paperwork, the everything, is right there where I left it last week! I had no little fairies come in and take care of it. I know I must be getting better because just today I looked around and said, "What a mess!"

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a horrible flu. Glad you are on the mend. That dog in the knitted bowl looks so cozy. Happy knitting!
    Sounds like a great book too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feel better, Kristin. I got it Dec. 6 took about seven weeks to shake it and I still feel like it's not completely gone.

    I just want to lay on the floor with booth dogs and snuggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seven weeks? Oh no! I have been hearing horror stories like that. This is some flu going around this time and a terrible year to have the flu shot not work!

      Delete
  5. Kristin, so sorry to hear you've been under the weather. That's so miserable. I wish you a speedy recuperation! You know things are bad when you can't knit. Sending warm thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, things are really bad when you can't knit! My gf was sick for 3 weeks and didn't pick up her needles. My jaw dropped when she told me. I asked, "what on earth did you do?" She said, "I was sick." Now I get it!

      Delete
    2. Wow -- I don't even know what to say about THAT!! Three weeks is a LONG time, but I totally 'get' your question to her 'what on earth did you do?' Take care of yourself.

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear that you've been ill, but glad that you're feeling better. Those dogs - just gorgeous, Gertie is so protective of
    little Paris - just adorable and very comfy in her bread basket! Your daughter is doing a great job there, you must be very proud of her x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does take a special person to adopt an older dog. They almost always have a laundry list of problems, but like I said, love seems to work miracles, doesn't it?

      Delete
  7. So sorry to hear about your flu and pneumonia. It's a humbling experience when you are the active type who usually powers through everything. Years ago I knitted a cat bed for our little feline and was so surprised when she jumped right into it the very second I had finished it and placed it on the floor. How did she know that that pile of yarn was specifically created for her?? Our animals are smarter than we realize sometimes. Love the story of Gertie and Paris. Get better. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am much better, but still feel like I could take a nap in the middle of the day. Who knew? That makes me laugh about your cat! I too, was so shocked when Paris snugged right in to her knitted bed. I thought we would have to spend hours getting her to like it. They sense where they belong!

      Delete
  8. i have never commented before, but i love reading your blog. i want to step into your world! your home is so comfy and beautiful, your gardens make me smile and your knitting is gorgeous. i too have a senior rescue dog, and she loves observing the world just like paris! she sits in her cozy little beds (yes beds more than one!) and loves to watch the action, rather than be the action. thanks for opening a slice of your world for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting. I see what it takes to adopt a senior dog and I have such admiration. Paris, after being in our home for only three days, ventured out from her bread basket and started to get in on the action. After all, there was bacon in the kitchen and some balls and somersaults going on (not by me) in the backyard that could hardly be ignored!

      Delete
  9. Are your dog is so canny? You can't control your dog. Your dog is out of your control. In that case, you can use Dog shock collar for your pet dog. This will help you out from the bad situation.

    ReplyDelete

You make my day when you make a comment!

Labels

afghan Alana Dakos ally pally ambassador Amy Herzog Ankestrick Arte Italica baby Baby Cocktails bakelite baking berry picking Best Friday of the Month best of Ravelry Big Sur blue transferware book review books boutique brook cables California candy child children children's activities Christmas Christmas crafts Christmas knitting cleaning collections cookie cutters cookies cooking craft Crafts crochet cross-stitch day trip decluttering decorating designer spotlight discount diy dog dolls Easter eau de vie Elizabeth Bradley Elizabeth Zimmerman embroidery entertaining Facebook fall fall decorating fall garden family featured first car fit flower arranging flowers free pattern Friday night party group friends funny Fur garden gardening Giants Gifted Hostess give-away giveaway gluten free gourmet group Halloween herbs holiday home how to set up a party group jewelry Kaffe Fassett KAL Kim Hargreaves kitting Knit Picks knitting laundry Le Jacquard Francais Little French Knits Los Altos lunch Mailbu Making Things Marie Wallin Martin Storey menu minimalism money talk mosaic movies my house my patterns my town nails needlepoint needles October challenge Octoberfest ollalie organizing original design outdoor seating owl party prep pear peg dolls pies pomegranates poncho preview quilting recipe recycling redwork review roses Rowan San Francisco Sarah Hatton sewing shawl shopping shower social media softie spring spring garden stash Stitches West summer summer garden summer knitting Sunday Morning Swans Island table setting test test knit Thanksgiving Three Irish Girls TNNA tomatoes top 10 list toys travel tutorial twinning ufo Uncommon Threads vacation Valentine vegetable garden videos wedding winter garden wip Woolfolk yarn yarn for sale Ysolda