Santa's Workshop

July 29, 2013






Santa's workshop has opened early this year.  I found these jolly vintage painted wooden bead clown heads at a church rummage sale, complete with little prototype for $1.25!  They look like they are from the 60s maybe?  Has anyone ever seen these before?  Too cute and silly for me to pass up.  I have a bag of yoyos left over from my girlhood when I once had the ambition to make a yoyo quilt.   The whole project consisted of gluing and adorning with tiny accessories that I've been collecting over the years, I have to say it was fun!



These yoyos were made from scraps of material used for clothing when I first learned how to sew.  
The yellow houndstooth check was from a 2 piece suit I make in the 9th grade. 
The purple rosebuds were shorts with eyelet lace ruffled trim.  
Gotta love those 60s!

Next, to keep you in the holiday mood for a bit more, I'll take you for a quick peek into Solvang's famous year round Christmas shop, Jule Hus.  Whenever we drive through Solvang, I have to stop in this Christmas shop if only for a few minutes.  It's conveniently located right next to the needlework store.  My husband will put up with this pilgrimage if I am very fast. 






Links!

What is a yoyo quilt?
Loads of pictures here and how to make one here.

There are THREE needlework shops in tiny Solvang.
Rasmussen's is awesome, needlework upstairs and specialty Scandinavian cookware downstairs.

There is also a yarn shop, The Village Spinning and Weaving Store (meh)
and a fun craft/knit store, KnitFit.

I've been visiting the Danish town of Solvang, CA, USA since I was a girl and it still charms me.

You Might Also Like

5 Comments

  1. Oh, are those cute!! They do have a look of the '60s to them!

    I giggled at your assessment of The Village Spinning and Weaving Store - I felt the same way when I visited it about 10 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen the little clowns are adorable! What a great way to use up the yo-yo's. I bet you had fun embellishing each one!
    I haven't been to Solvang in years, but I remember it well. Such a fun place to visit. I bought a stitchery kit there (tea towel embroidery I think). Thanks for the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute little guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute idea....I have passed this on to my friend in England.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been to Solvang in years, thanks for the reminder! Helen

    ReplyDelete

You make my day when you make a comment!

Labels

afghan Alana Dakos ally pally ambassador Amy Herzog Ankestrick Arte Italica baby Baby Cocktails bakelite baking berry picking Best Friday of the Month best of Ravelry Big Sur blue transferware book review books boutique brook cables California candy child children children's activities Christmas Christmas crafts Christmas knitting cleaning collections cookie cutters cookies cooking craft Crafts crochet cross-stitch day trip decluttering decorating designer spotlight discount diy dog dolls Easter eau de vie Elizabeth Bradley Elizabeth Zimmerman embroidery entertaining Facebook fall fall decorating fall garden family featured first car fit flower arranging flowers free pattern Friday night party group friends funny Fur garden gardening Giants Gifted Hostess give-away giveaway gluten free gourmet group Halloween herbs holiday home how to set up a party group jewelry Kaffe Fassett KAL Kim Hargreaves kitting Knit Picks knitting laundry Le Jacquard Francais Little French Knits Los Altos lunch Mailbu Making Things Marie Wallin Martin Storey menu minimalism money talk mosaic movies my house my patterns my town nails needlepoint needles October challenge Octoberfest ollalie organizing original design outdoor seating owl party prep pear peg dolls pies pomegranates poncho preview quilting recipe recycling redwork review roses Rowan San Francisco Sarah Hatton sewing sewing room tour shawl shopping shower social media softie spring spring garden stash Stitches West summer summer garden summer knitting Sunday Morning Swans Island table setting test test knit Thanksgiving Three Irish Girls TNNA tomatoes top 10 list toys travel tutorial twinning ufo Uncommon Threads vacation Valentine vegetable garden videos wedding winter garden wip Woolfolk yarn yarn for sale Ysolda