Needlepoint Stockings

December 02, 2011

Needlepoint was very popular in the 70's and 80's.  At the time I worked for about 5 needlepoint stores from San Jose to San Francisco turning finished needlepoint pieces into Christmas stockings.  I would get the finished piece, wash it and block it, then sew it up with a cotton lining and back and welt it with cotton velvet.  I also finished needlepoint pillows, eyeglass cases and ornaments.  I was very busy during the holidays and could hardly see straight. 


I've made 6 stockings but my daughter and granddaughter have theirs in their own house. 

We have the stockings hung in the family room, it's were we spend most nights, the computer and TV are in this room. 


Today I want to show you our stockings.  We have a fun tradition.  We each have to buy or make 3 things for each stocking. 
We have so much fun opening our stockings on Christmas morning. 

Detail of my doll house stocking.

Close up of my husband's stocking.

My son's jester.

Grandmommy is an angel.

You Might Also Like

4 Comments

  1. Your stockings are so beautiful! My mom made us needlepoint stockings in the '70s, and then later (mid-'90s maybe) made us all new ones in cross stitch! Mine is a partridge in a pear tree :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely!!! I always love to read your stories. Happy holiday season to you and your family.
    It is my dream to make cross-stitch stockings for my little family. Maybe some day I'll have time to do it. I even bought a book with designs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those stockings are beautiful! I am learning to needlepoint and have a true appreciation for the work of love those represent! (and I can only imagine how busy a needlepoint finisher is this time of year - yikes!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your visit to my blog. I'm happy to have discovered yours. Your stockings are just beautiful. I grew up with four brothers and sisters and opening our stockings were always the most exciting thing on Christmas day. We also filled each other's with numerous hand made and favorite things. And now the tradition continues with my own girls who love stuffing our handmade stockings as well. Looking forward to seeing your tree!

    ReplyDelete

You make my day when you make a comment!

Labels

afghan Alana Dakos ally pally ambassador Amy Herzog Ankestrick Arte Italica baby Baby Cocktails bakelite baking berry picking Best Friday of the Month best of Ravelry Big Sur blue transferware book review books boutique brook cables California candy child children children's activities Christmas Christmas crafts Christmas knitting cleaning collections cookie cutters cookies cooking craft Crafts crochet cross-stitch day trip decluttering decorating designer spotlight discount diy dog dolls Easter eau de vie Elizabeth Bradley Elizabeth Zimmerman embroidery entertaining Facebook fall fall decorating fall garden family featured first car fit flower arranging flowers free pattern Friday night party group friends funny Fur garden gardening Giants Gifted Hostess give-away giveaway gluten free gourmet group Halloween herbs holiday home how to set up a party group jewelry Kaffe Fassett KAL Kim Hargreaves kitting Knit Picks knitting laundry Le Jacquard Francais Little French Knits Los Altos lunch Mailbu Making Things Marie Wallin Martin Storey menu minimalism money talk mosaic movies my house my patterns my town nails needlepoint needles October challenge Octoberfest ollalie organizing original design outdoor seating owl party prep pear peg dolls pies pomegranates poncho preview quilting recipe recycling redwork review roses Rowan San Francisco Sarah Hatton sewing shawl shopping shower social media softie spring spring garden stash Stitches West summer summer garden summer knitting Sunday Morning Swans Island table setting test test knit Thanksgiving Three Irish Girls TNNA tomatoes top 10 list toys travel tutorial twinning ufo Uncommon Threads vacation Valentine vegetable garden videos wedding winter garden wip Woolfolk yarn yarn for sale Ysolda