summer color

August 13, 2011

At the back end of my garden I have a large flower bed.  Most of the rooms in the house can see this bed.
At it's widest point it measures 25 by 80 feet and has a lath shading about half of it.


I use this large bed for perennials and front it with annuals.  For about 10 months of the year we have something blooming here (this is California folks!).  First in late winter or early spring we see the wisteria and peonies.  Next will come the roses and hydrangeas.  Next to bloom are the hollyhocks, shasta daisies, gladioli, dahlia, hosta, jasmine, daylilies and finally the cannas.  The bed is mostly underplanted with flowering sweet woodruff.  Up until Christmas we usually have some scraggly roses and hydrangeas hanging on until January when we prune back, (remember, California).  Then it starts all over again. 



Right now it's all about the showiest flower of all, the annual zinnias I plant yearly on the sunny front border.  My old standbys are the 3' tall State Fair, the smaller Lilliput and the smaller still Pinwheel.  I start them by seed in my greenhouse in early spring and set them out late spring.  This year I also planted marigolds, petunias and begonias from flats from the garden center.  I was having so many events in my back yard this spring and summer I could not afford to be without a decent show of flowers at any time!


The zinnias are at their peak right now.  I was traveling when they should have been "pinched back" in order to create a fuller plant and so missed my window, but they still look beautiful.   
Please excuse my iphone pics.
Have you tried Butter by London?  It's a true lacquer, this is just one coat of Blowing Raspberries.  It flows so easily, it makes me want to throw out my other polish.

You can imagine what I'm about to do.  Yes, weed and deadhead.  Today with my silly new granddog as company!
I hope my manicure holds out.

You Might Also Like

3 Comments

  1. Wow! What a lovely garden you have! Inhave to ty that nail polish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful perennial bed you have! I envy all the lush green of your lawn and plants. (Yay, California!)

    Yes, I have tried Butter London polishes and they are absolutely the best. Blowing Raspberries is a great color and seems to match the zinnia behind it.

    I love that you have a granddog! He seems to like you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for California indeed! Zinnias are a favorite summer flower and I have so enjoyed the photos of yours (iphone is perfectly OK!). But my favorite part is the nail polish. When I saw that photo I immediately thought of Twisted Knitter...and then I come to leave a comment - and there she is! Y'all are inspiring me to get back into a manicure habit. Thank you! (I think...it is time away from knitting!)

    ReplyDelete

You make my day when you make a comment!

Labels

afghan Alana Dakos ally pally ambassador Amy Herzog Ankestrick Arte Italica baby Baby Cocktails bakelite baking berry picking Best Friday of the Month best of Ravelry Big Sur blue transferware book review books boutique brook cables California candy child children children's activities Christmas Christmas crafts Christmas knitting cleaning collections cookie cutters cookies cooking craft Crafts crochet cross-stitch day trip decluttering decorating designer spotlight discount diy dog dolls Easter eau de vie Elizabeth Bradley Elizabeth Zimmerman embroidery entertaining Facebook fall fall decorating fall garden family featured first car fit flower arranging flowers free pattern Friday night party group friends funny Fur garden gardening Giants Gifted Hostess give-away giveaway gluten free gourmet group Halloween herbs holiday home how to set up a party group jewelry Kaffe Fassett KAL Kim Hargreaves kitting Knit Picks knitting laundry Le Jacquard Francais Little French Knits Los Altos lunch Mailbu Making Things Marie Wallin Martin Storey menu minimalism money talk mosaic movies my house my patterns my town nails needlepoint needles October challenge Octoberfest ollalie organizing original design outdoor seating owl party prep pear peg dolls pies pomegranates poncho preview quilting recipe recycling redwork review roses Rowan San Francisco Sarah Hatton sewing shawl shopping shower social media softie spring spring garden stash Stitches West summer summer garden summer knitting Sunday Morning Swans Island table setting test test knit Thanksgiving Three Irish Girls TNNA tomatoes top 10 list toys travel tutorial twinning ufo Uncommon Threads vacation Valentine vegetable garden videos wedding winter garden wip Woolfolk yarn yarn for sale Ysolda